Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Journal #1 : Slum Poverty

I had slept maybe for about 1 hour, I think that is enough for the activity to today. I dream crazy, somehow I miss my house in Pampanga. I miss my kid brother most especially. It has been a while since I go home. Maybe this is the prize of getting old, I mean maturing, you seems to move out from the nurture of the family you were reared to.

Last time I chatted with my friend. He lives in China. Same as me we are both office workers. Same as me we lived in the countryside. I mentioned to him I became a volunteer for a Non Profit Organization here in the Philippines. We go to the poor place in Manila. My friend asked me how can you help them. I came out with a hurried reply which to give them advise.

Visiting them and giving them advise are enough he asked again. It made me think, so what I am really contributing to the people.

Yesterday a good friend of mine arrived in the Philippines. He will introduced his hobby to the people living in the slums. His hobby will become his business in the future.  His idea is great because he is correct. Labor cost in Philippines is cheap. I find the idea great not because of the cheap labor cost but to what it might contribute to the people of the slums. Those people people who labored on the mountainous garbage for money which can give them additional income.

I have been to those slums for a couple of times. In truth I am not overwhelm at all by the site of the village. I had lived in that kind of village before well minus the garbage heap and the food they sometimes ate which is called Pagpag. Pagpag are sold in that slum. Pagpag are variety of leaf over foods. I found it weird that they are sold not cheap. I am comparing the cost to what I eat in my stay in manila. I can eat a whole fresh cooked meal with those prices. P15 I can buy a Pancit, P25 Pesos I can buy Ulam P35 I can eat rice with Ulam.

People will stay on the ground unless they decided to stand on their own. Well given the right opportunity may boost them.  I hope my friend enthusiasm will bear fruits.  He keep talking about Peter the disciple of Jesus. He heard the rooster crowed three times then he realized he betrayed the Lord, yet right at that moment he realized that the Lord was telling the truth. What happen to Peter I will check again the Bible. One thing I am sure upon Peter he became the rock and he is sometimes depict as the keeper of the Gates of Heaven.



1 comment:

  1. I hope Wada will be successful with his new business. It is really a big help to the people in SM2. We're still thinking how ACCE could help him though, how we could all work together.

    ReplyDelete